The Software Freedom Day is a global, grassroots effort to educate the public about the importance of software freedom and the virtues and availability of Free and Open Source Software. There are many locate teams around the world. The Software Freedom Day Hong Kong Team is one of the many local teams of the global event.
In 2006, the team was established very close to the day of the event. Plus the fact that the ICT industry was not that recovered from the economic recession, there was a lack of resource to coordinate the event. Still many ICT professional and OSS professional at that time were not in the mood. Although the team was formed, there was not many activities.
In 2007, the Hong Kong team started preparing the event since June 07. The team leader - Mr. Albert Chung - proposed a new and more "out going" directions:
0. The objective of the 2007 event is to deliver the message of Software Freedom and get public awareness
1. Principle community sponsor from The Hong Kong Linux User Group, The Debian Hong Kong, The Open Application Knowledge Association, The Open Standard Support Organization, The International Information and Communication Technology Council.
2. Successfully obtain media sponsor from a local IT magazine called e-Zone and an online media sponsor from Jobsdb.com .
3. Actively sent requests to non Hong Kong Communities to ask for participation
4. Actively sent invitation to all universities in Hong Kong and Macau to ask for participation
5. Actively sent invitation to various government departments to request for participation
6. Actively invited local Linux / FOSS companies to participate
The date started for this article is the 6th August 2007. The event is being held on 15th September 2007. Most of the preparation is completed.
For 2008: Meanwhile, we are planning for Software freedom day 2008. Suggestions can be sent to email@example.com
Committee Member Edit
Leader: Albert Chung
Secretary: Ho Tsz Ting
Committee: Zunix Ling, Roy Chan, Leung Miu Hang, Anthony Yuen