Brewster Kahle (Template:PronEng 'kale') (b. 1960) is a U.S. internet entrepreneur, activist and digital librarian. Kahle graduated from MIT in 1982 with a BS degree in Computer Science & Engineering where he was a member of the Chi Phi Fraternity. The emphasis of his studies was artificial intelligence; he studied under Marvin Minsky and W. Daniel Hillis.
He was an early member of the Thinking Machines team, where he invented the WAIS system. He later started WAIS, Inc. (sold to AOL), the nonprofit Internet Archive, and the related for-profit Alexa Internet (sold to Amazon.com). He continues as Director of the Internet Archive as of 2007. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and a key supporter of the Open Content Alliance. His stated goal is "Universal Access to all Knowledge".
Kahle and his wife created the Kahle/Austin Foundation, a US$45 million trust which in 2003 gave US$1,787,175 to Internet Archive.
- The Internet Archive
- O'Reilly Network: How the Wayback Machine Works - 21 January 2002
- O'Reilly Network: Brewster Kahle on the Internet Archive and People's Technology - Interview by Lisa Rein. 22 January 2004
- ACM Queue: A Conversation with Brewster Kahle - June 2004
- Slate - The Archivist: Brewster Kahle made a copy of the Internet. Now, he wants your files. - 7 April 2005
- San Francisco Chronicle - A Man's vision: World Library Online - 22 November 2005
- Brewster's Keynote at Wikimania 2006
- B. Kahle and his relationship to Google (Cnet Article: Grant Funds Open-Source Challenge to Google Library) - 21. Dec 2006
- Mention in San Francisco Chronicle
- Library of Congress, Public Access to Digital Materials (RealVideo and slides) - 20 November 2002
- CSPAN - Digital Futures - Universal Access to All Knowledge - Video program of Brewster Kahle. 13 December 2004
- NerdTV Interview (video, audio, and transcript available) - 18 August 2005
- IT Conversations - Universal Access to All Knowledge - Audio program featuring Brewster Kahle. 16 December 2004
- IT Conversations - Tech Nation interview with Dr. Moira Gunn - 7 February 2006
- PBS NerdTV - Episode #4 An Interview with Brewster Kahle with Robert X. Cringley - 27 September 2005de:Brewster Kahle
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found